First Baptist Church was founded in 1832 as Beulah Baptist Church.
Come join us as we seek to lead our city in Living a Life that Matters.
She was birthed through the revival of Flint Hill Baptist Church...
When a group of Godly men felt led to form a Baptist Church in the city of Charlotte, the church built a small frame building with dressing rooms and a baptistery on the corner of 3rd and College Streets. The nearby spring provided the water needed for baptisms. For many years, the church remained at less than 50 members but enjoyed a close relationship with Flint Hill Baptist, visiting their location twice a year for communion. From 1853 to 1855, the church met at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse.
In 1856, the church took the name Beulah Baptist Church of Christ and started construction of a building at the corner of 7th and Brevard Streets. The neat brick building was completed at the cost of $1,800.
The church's name was changed to First Baptist Church in 1884 as she relocated to Tryon Street. The church enjoyed an encouraging period at this location with increased membership and economic growth.
In 1906, members decided that a new building was needed and plans were put into place for a $50,000 auditorium that would seat over 1,000 people. Because the new building was to be located next door to the city's library, Andrew Carnegie agreed to donate $5,000 toward the purchase of an organ if First Baptist would use a design similar to that of the library. The new beautiful church with its Byzantine domes and arched stained-glass windows was dedicated in 1909.
During this time, First Baptist was known as a growing church within the growing city of Charlotte and was busy planting other churches and sharing the gospel throughout the city. In 1921, the pastor Dr. Luther Little instituted the first radio broadcast of Sunday morning worship services, and in 1947, Billy Graham held his first crusade meeting in the church.
Ground was broken on Easter Sunday, 1971 for a new building at the corner of 3rd and Davidson Streets. C.C. Hope, Chairman of the Building Committee, said, "Today marks the beginning of a long-awaited dream...We have carefully considered the heritage of our past, we have constantly grown in our faith in the promise of the future, and we have not wavered as we marched to face the challenge of this century." The church worshiped at North Tryon Street on August 20, 1972, for the last time and moved into the new building the following Sunday. First Baptist Charlotte continues to worship and serve at this location today.
First Baptist Charlotte remains committed to exist in the heart of uptown Charlotte and serve as a beacon of light for the Queen City. Throughout its rich history, one thing has remained constant...that is the unapologetic preaching of the entire Word of God. Come join us as we seek to lead our city in Living a Life that Matters.